6.3.09

Water balloons

I was walking down the sidewalk, my mind on other things, when a water balloon splashed onto the ground in front of me.

“Hey!” I yelled, jumping back too late to keep my feet dry. From an upstairs window, two freckled, gap-toothed faces grinned down at me. “Purim, cut it out!” I yelled, glaring at the younger child.

“It was her,” Purim said, pointing at his partner in crime. Shabbat nodded, grinning wickedly.

“I think I can guess who came up with the idea,” I muttered, right before another water balloon hit the crown of my head.

“All right, three-pointer!” Purim announced. I wiped water off my face and looked up just in time to see them exchange high fives. Purim handed Shabbat another full balloon, and I started running.

1 comment:

Wil Roepke said...

An explanatory note: Shabbat Zakhor is a special name given to the Shabbat immediately before Purim. On this Shabbat, the final Torah reading is Deut 25:17-19, which includes the directive to blot out the name of Amalek. This is followed by a prophetic reading in which Saul is condemned for failing to kill King Agog, an Amalekite, whom God had demanded he destroy.

Haman, the villain of the Purim story, is said to be a descendent of Amalek. Thus, during the public reading of Ester on Purim, listeners blot out the name of Haman with the loud noise of groggers. I have portrayed Shabbat in trouble-making but good-natured cahoots with Purim in recognition of this Shabbat’s role in preparing celebrants for the activities to come.