30.1.09

On Shabbat

She came early, letting herself in through the front door and running into the living room on wobbly legs.

“Hi there,” I greeted her just before she pounced.

“It’s so great to see you!” She wrapped her arms around me, almost chokingly tight. “It’s been forever! Is that a new shirt? It looks great on you. Gorgeous. That color really works. Is that water you’re drinking? Can I have some?”

She grabbed my glass and drank. “Hey, this is good water! I love it! Where did you get it?”

“The… tap?” I watched her savor it like fine wine. “Sweetie, are you okay?”

“I feel fabulous!” She kicked her feet into the air, toes wriggling, as she giggled.

Finally, I couldn’t take it any more. “What are you on tonight?” I demanded.

“Shabbat!” she announced, falling on the couch and laughing like she would never stop.

No comments: